The Parish Council this year would like to involve the community in a number of ways. One of these ways is to introduce ‘The Freedom of the Parish’. This is an award nominated by residents to a deserving member of the community. The ceremony will take place during our yearly open meeting,
Freedom of the Parish
Following the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009, Parish Councils now have the power to award the Freedom of the Parish.
Considerations for this are:
- Should be awarded in recognition of exceptional contribution or service to the community over a prolonged period of time to a person of distinction.
- Can be awarded to any resident of the Parish, or person outside the Parish, who renders an identifiable and consistent contribution/service to the Parish of Thornton .
- Can be proposed by any resident in the Parish or by Parish Councillors.
- Parish Councillors will have absolute discretion regarding who receives and award.
- It is not necessary to award if no-one is proposed and it is not a requirement that anyone is appointed even if proposed.
This is an award, solely in the gift of the Council and confers no material honours or special privileges nor does it entitle the person to participate in the proceedings of the Council meetings or in any ceremonial events. It is purely and simply awarded for merit.
Anyone wishing to nominate an individual for a freedom should contact the Clerk.